Search This Blog

The Joys and The Horror of Facebook!

What a cool site Facebook is I said to myself when I started using it a few years ago right before my high school reunion.  Talking to old friends that I had not spoken to in forever was so much fun.  After the reunion still being able to communicate with them on a daily basis I thought was great.  I go on Facebook everyday, love to see what my friends are up to, check out their status, love to see pictures of their kids and some of things my friends say on their status are hysterical.  Some of my closest friends make fun of me because I love Facebook so much, and I am okay with it, and am not embarrassed whatsoever with my obsession.  So I find joy on Facebook everyday, getting new friends and adding them is delightful.

Now to the horror. Why does Facebook allow anyone to post a picture of anyone they want to with no approval process in place??  I was horrified to find pictures of myself posted on Facebook from a recent party I went to.  Even more disturbing to me was why my good friend would post all of these pictures without asking if  it was okay with her friends to post some of these unflattering pictures.  I love Facebook but this piece of it really bothers me.  I try to be very respectful of all the pictures I post and always inquire first with my friends if it is okay with them.  After the above happened to me I decided I am not going to post any pictures on Facebook anymore except ones of myself.  Will just send pictures I think other people would be interested in through e-mail and then leave it up to them if they want to post the pictures.  To the creative team behind Facebook, you need to have a button that comes up and asks for your approval, where you can click yes or no to approve pictures other people are trying to post.  Then Facebook will be the perfect social networking site in my opinion.

2 comments:

hardworkinggurl said...

There are a great many things about Facebook that I am not keen about, the one especially is where you have to constantly make sure your settings are customized. Each time Facebook upgrades your settings get reset and they do not necessarily tell you that now your personal demographic information is now displayed publicly.

Unknown said...

I really hate that part, I think your settings should stay the same regardless of any updates.

Donate